This article first appeared on Good Vibrations Magazine.
- Low fertility rate
- The total fertility rate hit rock bottom at 1.16 in 2010.
- The national daily, The Straits Times came up with ten way to have more babies. They are
- Adopt babies;
- Cut abortion rate
- Allow surrogate pregnancies
- Tie citizenship and PR to babies
- Promote IVF
- Don’t discourage single mums (alongside more support for them)
- Have four months of paternity leave
- Scare couples into having kids (such as this)
- Promote early marriage (s0 that they are young enough to try again)
- Free childcare up to age three.
- What some countries are doing to boost fertility rate is also examined. They include: Frances, Sweden, Britain etc.
- Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew however thinks baby subsidies will only ‘break the bank’.
- OK to gay minister: MM Lee has released a new book. In it, he says OK to having a Gay Member of Parliament.
- Beware bust boosting cookies: Breast-enhancing” F-cup cookies, which contain plant hormones, might be harmful to consumers.
- Fetish: Scent of a woman’s wallet drives him to crime
- No pics of me in underwear, please – A teenager had gone to the Orchard Road clinic to get a scar on her thigh removed, and was told that photos had to be taken of her – without her underwear – before the operation. The 17-year-old is suing well-known plastic surgeon Martin Huang and the clinic for emotional distress and personal trauma.
- Selling underwear online – A local blogger’s controversial offer in promoting her used-underwear online business has set the online world abuzz.
- Rape – Alleged rapist says woman agreed to sex at his flat but she was drunk! Friend of ‘rape’ victim testifies on 2nd day of trial
- S’pore Women Tying the Knot … At a Later Age – SMU (Singapore Management University) Asst Prof of Sociology Bussarawan Teerawichitchainan says women may be putting off marriage until they are financially secure.
- Women in Heat – SMU Assoc Prof Norman Li’s joint research has found that when women are ovulating, they not only like to dress up in sexy attire but are also more likely to stray.
- Most expensive divorce in Singapore – Jamie Cuaca is a socialite who is seeking$450,000 in monthly maintenance. More on the cost of a divorce. Cuaca has liquidated the two luxury shoe outlets she runs citing potential cash-flow problems.
- Foreign brides – A Singaporean man, Mr Lui and the Vietnamese love of his life, Tran Ngoc Hoa, married in March last year. He is unhappy that despite fulfilling his filial and citizen’s duties and contributing to society, his bride’s PR application was rejected.
- On a breast – Comments on Australian model Miranda Kerr debuted her two-week-old son Flynn on her website Kora Organics by posting a photo of her nursing the baby.
- Tiger mums are not extinct – And then, there is all this never-ending talk about Amy Chua.
Elsewhere in Asia
- Korea – Korean Women more willing to divorce than men.
- India – Women are better than men at figuring out an extremely unusual product, as long as the product is promoted among competing products. Does this extend to sex toys?
- India – 1 of every 4 rapes in Indian cities takes place in Delhi
- Australia – The objectification of women’s bodies and commodification of childbirth came together yesterday in a single antiseptic phrase contained in the announcement of a second child for actress Nicole Kidman and her musician husband Keith Urban.
Disclaimer: Some of these media reports may portray certain persons and their sexuality in a negative light. I am merely re-reporting them and may not always agree with the opinions expressed.
Dr. Martha Lee is Founder and Clinical Sexologist of Eros Coaching. She is a certified sexologist with a Doctorate in Human Sexuality. She provides sexuality and intimacy coaching for individuals and couples, conducts sexual education workshops and speaks at public events. For more, visit www.eroscoaching.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.