You may have Vaginismus (pronounced vaj-uh-niz-muhs) if you are a woman who experiences…
- Pain due to tightening of the vagina during intercourse
- Painful sensation during insertion of the penis/ failure to achieve penile penetration due to pain
- Difficulty having a gynecological exam involving the vagina performed
- Sexual pain and discomforts after giving birth or undergoing a surgical procedure involving the female reproductive system
- Troubled relationship between partners
- Lack of interest to engage in sex due to pain
How Common is Vaginismus?
According to statistics, about two out of 1000 women suffer from Vaginismus. The Center for Human Sexuality in New York noted that 40% of women who sought help from the institute were found to be suffering from Vaginismus. In Ireland, a sexual therapist noted that five out of 1000 troubled marriages were due to Vaginismus in women.
However, health care professionals believe that there are more women out there who have the same condition but are afraid to seek medical help for fear of suffering from social disgrace and humiliation.
Is Vaginismus Treatable?
Women and couples who have sought professional help to treat Vaginismus were successfully cured after thoroughly following their treatment program. Clinical statistics showed that those who have complied with the methods of their treatment program have higher success rates compared to those who failed to follow and complete the treatment.
According to different, independent studies, the success rate of treatment for Vaginismus is around 75% – 100%, depending on the woman’s compliance with her program. Vaginismus is highly treatable!
Sign up to receive three FREE informational videos about Vaginismus I created here.
Dr. Martha Lee is Founder and Clinical Sexologist of Eros Coaching. She is a certified sexologist with a Doctorate in Human Sexuality. She provides sexuality and intimacy coaching for individuals and couples, conducts sexual education workshops and speaks at public events. For more, visit www.eroscoaching.com or email email@example.com.