This article appeared originally in The Huffington Post.
There is a dire selection of varied shows on Netflix Singapore. I’ve seen discussions of conspiracy theories, mostly blaming the Singapore government for its strict censorship rules. In reality, the sparse selection has probably to do with licensing issues and these shows making it to Asia.
Within my few months of obtaining my Netflix subscription, I have pretty much watched every single romance movie there is. What is a die-hard romance looking for only feel-good movies to do? That’s right. I turned to sports-themed shows starting from Top Spin, Trophy Kids, The Short Game, Iverson, Friday Night Lights, Rudy, Coach Carter, Pacific Warriors to One in a Billion.
These are 7 reasons why I love sports-themed shows, and they might not be what you think:
- Happy Ending – Call it cliché, I’m looking for the release of oxytocin or rather to feel good and positive about life. There is a definite hero archetype and there’s that happily-ever-after in a world of terror, horror, and pain.
- Mind and Body – I love how the mind and body works together to create mastery in one’s sport so that it becomes a craft. There is an ease, grace, and beauty behind it all. In my work, we call it flow state and it inspires.
- Team Work – In team sports, it is never about only one individual but a team whether it be baseball, basketball, rugby, or cheerleading. The sense of belonging to a tribe is aspirational to watch, and the camaraderie enviable.
- Courage – In intense sporting moments, it is sometimes about mind over body –transcending physical injuries. It involves laying yourself on the line, having self-confidence, being willing to be vulnerable. This is when the warrior within all us comes through.
- Higher Self – Playing a game well is not the same as playing a game to the best of your ability. There comes a point in some shows when it is more than a game, when it is more than a win or victory over others, but one over yourself. And when I am reminded that there is a divine spirit in us all, it inspires me in my work.
- Hope – There is always hope even in dire situations in the hope of a coach, mentor, kind stranger, family, and friends. These shows remind me of the angels around us and to never give up.
- Sweat – Much like in our fantasies, there is no taste, smell, and touch when watching a movie. When sweat is not dripping over you, doesn’t smell, and involves no clean-up, it’s sexy. It reminds me of testosterone, sex, and all the possibilities in between.
Now that I’ve finished writing this, I think I’d go lie down and watch a movie. I’m looking for your Netflix recommendations. Anybody?
About Dr. Martha Tara Lee
Surrounded by friends who were sexually inhibited and struck by dire lack of positive conversations around sex and sexuality in Singapore, Dr. Martha Tara Lee set out to make a positive difference in embarking on her doctorate in human sexuality before launching Eros Coaching in 2009. Today, she remains dedicated to working with individuals and couples who wish to lead self-actualised and pleasure-filled lives.
She also holds certificates in counselling, coaching and sex therapy, and has most recently completed her fourth degree – a Masters in Counselling. In practice for more than seven years, she is the only certified sexuality educator by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) in Singapore.
Often cited in the local media, Dr. Lee is the appointed sex expert for Men’s Health Singapore, and Men’s Health Malaysia. She was recognised as one of ‘Top 50 Inspiring Women Under 40′ by Her World in July 2010, and one of ‘Top 100 Inspiring Women’ by CozyCot in March 2011. She is the host of weekly radio show Eros Evolution on the OMTimes Radio Network. She has published three books: Love, Sex and Everything In-Between, Orgasmic Yoga and From Princess to Queen.
Martha works with individuals and couples in private coaching sessions, and conducts her own workshops. She takes prides in making sure all her workshops are also fun, educational, and sex-positive. This comes easily to her because even though she is extremely dedicated and serious about her work, she fundamentally believes that sex is meant to be fun, wonderful, amazing and sacred. As such, this serious light-heartedness has shone through again and again. For her full profile, click here. Email her here.