Infographic: Valentine’s Day in Singapore

Posted On: February 13, 2018

According to Picodi.com which surveyed over 5,600 people from 32 different countries (including Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa and both Americas) to find out about the local perception of Valentine’s Day.

Apparently, Singaporeans (precisely 61%) tend to enjoy Valentine’s Day, spending SG$144 on average. The other 39% refuse any form of celebration.

One third of male Singaporeans will offer their soulmates a romantic date in the restaurant, 29% of men is going to choose jewellery and almost a quarter (24%) prefer cinema as their go-to option. Interestingly, most women will decide for a more personalized approach: handmade gift (33%) or Valentine’s Day card (17%) are among top female choices.

But what about the expectation itself? Which gifts would really win Singaporeans hearts? A date in the restaurant is hands down the most preferable option both for male (63%) and female (55%) part of our respondents. Should we mention that almost half of men (45%) would be over the moon receiving cash? Once again women prefer more romantic approach—travel/trip out of town (35%), cinema/theater (31%) or simply flowers (25%) would do it.

Be sure to avoid giving your beloved girlfriend a plush toy—24% of women hate them.

Want to spice things up instead? Watch out—neither underwear nor sex toys work (22% of women think that’s a terrible idea for a gift). Trying to impress men? Remember that more than a quarter of them (26%) stated that a date in the restaurant is not really what they are looking for on such occasions.

Commonly singles are the most skeptical when it comes to Valentine’s Day. Although, when it comes to Singaporeans staying in relationships, our study shows that 32% of men and 22% of women admitted to totally ignoring Valentine’s.

For more, be sure to check out my 8 Recommendations for Valentine’s Day and Beyond here.

 

About Dr. Martha Tara Lee

Surrounded by friends who were sexually inhibited and struck by dire lack of positive conversations around sex and sexuality in Singapore, Dr. Martha Tara Lee set out to make a positive difference in embarking on her doctorate in human sexuality before launching Eros Coaching in 2009. Today, she remains dedicated to working with individuals and couples who wish to lead self-actualised and pleasure-filled lives.

She also holds certificates in counselling, coaching and sex therapy, and has most recently completed her fourth degree – a Masters in Counselling. In practice for more than seven years, she is the only certified sexuality educator by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) in Singapore.

Often cited in the local media, Dr. Lee is the appointed sex expert for Men’s Health Singapore, and Men’s Health Malaysia. She was recognised as one of ‘Top 50 Inspiring Women Under 40′ by Her World in July 2010, and one of ‘Top 100 Inspiring Women’ by CozyCot in March 2011. She is the host of weekly radio show Eros Evolution on the OMTimes Radio Network.  She has published three books: Love, Sex and Everything In-BetweenOrgasmic Yoga and From Princess to Queen.

Martha works with individuals and couples in private coaching sessions, and conducts her own workshops. She takes prides in making sure all her workshops are also fun, educational, and sex-positive. This comes easily to her because even though she is extremely dedicated and serious about her work, she fundamentally believes that sex is meant to be fun, wonderful, amazing and sacred. As such, this serious light-heartedness has shone through again and again. For her full profile, click here. Email her here.

GET SEX TIPS STRAIGHT IN YOUR MAILBOX!

Contact Us

Subscribe to your FREE Eros Insider