Date(s) - 05/11/2020
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
A fabulous fabric vulva making workshop
Create your very own fabric vulva with Artist Angela Wooi , celebrating diversity and beauty of female genitalia. Join this exclusive workshop collaboration with Sugar & Spice festival and craft your very own fabulous fabric vulva from zips, buttons ribbons fabric and lace.
You’ll be guided step by step to make a gorgeous vulva in the style of Angela’s work. This workshop welcomes all genders, you don’t need to own a vulva to Make or take the class. Plus you’ll get to learn some fun anatomical facts on the way. No sewing machine required, but basic hand sewing would be an advantage but not essential.
Angela Wooi is a multidisciplinary textile artist working in installation interactive and participatory art. She uses the tools of feminine domesticity to address female sexuality, body diversity, gender and femininity.
What you will need
Your creativity starts here. Angela creates much of her work by upcycling fabric, scouring charity shops and boot fairs. As we have been limited last few months, you may like to look around the house for the following or you will need to purchase in advance.
- A Zip to make our vulva foundation (from your old clothing) or purchase one 10 cm approx. in colour of your choice
- Mons Pubis and Labia Small pieces of fabric ( 2 pieces approximately A4 size will be enough ) suitable fabrics include, cotton / poly cottons / lycra. NOT suitable wool or anything open weave or that frays easily when you cut it.
- Approx. 1 metre ribbon (1 inch) OR lace / tassels
- Hair fringing approx 25cm
- 1 packet small beads approx. 3mm in colour of your choice or two colours
- A needle, fine enough to fit through the beads
- Thread poly cotton
- Very small piece or amount of wadding (cushion padding) or even cotton wool balls will do.
- For Clitoris – you need a Large pearl / bead / jewels / button
- 10 sharp scissors, a few pins , small dish to keep your beads in and a piece of carboard A4 Size to act as a mount. (You’ll need to cut this into a circle) tape measure or ruler
- This is just a guide. If you have any unwanted haberdashery , trim , beading, broken jewellery, sequins, they all may be useful so bring them to the workshop.
For colours chose either naturalistic flesh tones browns pinks purples. There are many variations. Your labia colours maybe very dark or very pale . OR make your vulva totally psychedelic with clashing colours and fun patterned fabrics. To get an idea of suitable materials to use take a look at @sextileart Instagram. There is also materials info in the highlights for you OR look on www.angelawooi.com
Dates: Thurs 5 November 2020
Time: 7 – 9 p.m. Singapore time