This is an AASECT approved CE course – 1.5 CE Credits
A follow-up to Transgender 101, this session will look in more depth at the specific medical care that some transgender and non-binary individuals may request, including hormone replacement therapy, electrolysis, and gender confirmation surgery. We will discuss appropriate counseling strategies for clients interested in any of these treatments, and referral options for clients in your geographic area will be offered to attendees, when available.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- List and explain at least 3 forms of gender-affirmative medical care available to transgender individuals.
- Identify 1 website or other external resource for locating transgender health specialists for referral procedures.
Note: This course meets the requirements of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) and is approved for 1.5 CE credits. These CE credits may be applied toward AASECT Certification and renewal of certification.
- The person with a grievance will first try to informally resolve their grievance by contacting the AASECT CE Provider or Nonprovider or the Event Facilitator with the issue concerning the training, its delivery, the evaluation method, or technological issue.
- If the aggrieved person is not satisfied with the resolution through informal means, the aggrieved person shall put their grievance in writing to the AASECT CE Provider or Nonprovider or the Event Facilitator. The AASECT CE Provider or Non-provider or the Event Facilitator will then consult with appropriate personnel at the organization that have approved the course to find fair methods of resolving the grievance.
- If the aggrieved person is not satisfied with the solutions put forth, then they will be directed to put their grievance in writing and contact the appropriate organization, e.g. AASECT or state in which training has been provided. The AASECT CE Provider or Non-provider or the Event Facilitator will abide by any decisions regarding resolution of the grievance.
About the Instructor
Bianca Palmisano (she/they) is a sex educator, medical consultant, and the owner of Intimate Health Consulting. She specializes in training healthcare providers around issues of sexual health, as well as LGBT, sex worker, and sexual assault survivor competency. In Fall 2018, they are beginning a Masters of Nursing program at Johns Hopkins School of Nursing in Baltimore.
Palmisano spent two years as a case manager working with the homeless population of DC at Friendship Place, where they also chaired the LGBT advocacy working group and hosted multiple staff trainings. They also served as a facilitator for the classroom education program The Rainbow Speakers Bureau, and as chair of the Transgender Advocacy Project for American University. She is a Planned Parenthood certified sex educator, two-time presenter for the Philadelphia Transgender Health Conference and the Woodhull Sexual Freedom Summit, and a planning committee member for DC’s Transgender Day of Remembrance.
Palmisano is the primary author of “Safer Sex for Trans Bodies,” an outreach and education guide for the trans community sponsored by Whitman Walker Health and the Human Rights Campaign. She has been a guest lecturer at George Washington University, Johns Hopkins, and University of Chicago.
In addition to sexual health work, Palmisano is a volunteer for the universal paid leave campaign with Jews United for Justice, a NEAR Act Community Advocate, and regularly provides testimony to the DC city council on issues around affordable housing, LGBT cultural competency, and customer support for the Office of Tax and Revenue.
This program meets the requirements of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) and is approved for 1.5 CE credits. These CE credits may be applied towards AASECT certification and renewal of certification.
Disclaimer: Completion of this program does not ensure or guarantee AASECT certification. For further information, please contact email@example.com.
No refund will be issued upon purchase is confirmed.